Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Moving Madness

What a good little helper

The move is over! We made it safely to New Orleans and now we are just working on getting adjusted to our new life as swamp dwellers (more on that later). A big thanks to John's dad who helped us make the impossible drive. He is a saint! Also, thanks again to all of our wonderful friends who helped pack the truck. Most of the guys who came to help with the move doubted that we would be able to fit everything into the truck, but to everyone's astonishment it all fit! Here is the proof, with even a little head room to spare. John was pretty proud of his work:

Now then, lets get to the "madness" portion of this post. Ever since I found out that the drive to New Orleans was 30+ hours I started devising a plan for me to fly out there with Bentley while John and his dad drove out with the moving truck and cars. We have been on enough short road trips with Bentley to know that neither of us really wanted to commit to that sort of torture. After a lot of convincing (thank you rapid rewards), John got on board with the plan and we booked my flight!

Fast forward to 20 minutes before John and his dad were planning on leaving for the cross-country move. John's dad was literally on his way over to our house. I am in tears. Why? I don't know, but I'm going to chalk it up to pregnancy hormones. The previous week, I watched as my bestfriends packed up their trucks one by one and drove away and I think that I was just really ready for it to be my turn. I was already feeling lonely and anxious, and since it was our wedding anniversary that day I think I was extra emotional about John leaving. Who will ever know the real reason, but in a moment of madness I informed John that he needed to make room in the car for me and Bentley because we were coming with him! John laughed and said "sorry, not happening." Did he actually think I was joking? Of course! Who would condemn themselves to a cross-country road trip with a toddler if they had the option to fly instead? Only a crazy person. I looked at him long and hard and then we both jumped to our feet and got busy making the preparations. What a good husband. My bags were basically packed since we were planning on staying with my mother-in-law until we left on our flight 3 days later, but I still needed to do a clean sweep of the house and throw a few things together for the trip. Less than an hour later, we woke Bentley up from his nap, said our tearful goodbyes to John's mom, and hit the road!

Looking back, I'm still glad that I decided to join John for the move. There were moments when I regretted the decision (especially when Bentley cried the entire 2 hours that we waited for a wreck to clear ahead of us as we sat in the car at a standstill), but overall he did much better than either one of us anticipated. We left late afternoon on Saturday and arrived in New Orleans around 10am Monday morning. I think we only stopped to sleep for a total of four hours. While this made for an exhausting trip, it was nice that we were able to continue driving through the night while Bentley slept. Fortunately, he slept for about 24 hours of the 43 hour trip. Moral of the story: indulge your pregnant wife's wishes, no matter how crazy they might be. I just hope to be a bit more mentally stable when the time comes for us to move again. The end.

No comments: