Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Last, First Day of School

Mark your calendars people, June 21st is a new national holiday! It officially marks John's very last, first day of school! After two weeks into his residency, John is still happy that he made the decision to specialize. He gets along really well with the other 3 residents in his program, and the faculty treat him with an entirely new level of respect than what he experienced in dental school. I am so happy that he is well on his way to reaching his end goal, but I can't say that I am equally as thrilled with the new time commitments that are demanded from him as a new resident.

I think that we had all gotten really used to him coming home early and being an active participant in our evening activities. Now I feel like we are back to what it was like during those first couple of years in dental school where he comes home late and spends much of the evening working on projects and studying. It has been an adjustment to say the least. To put things into perspective I just need to remember that he was originally deciding between two residency programs, orthodontics and oral surgery. Compared to the latter option, I feel pretty fortunate to be in my current situation.

No comments: