Monday, April 27, 2009

Going Crazy

Just as I was beginning to think that we were making progress with Bentley's eating, I woke up to this:

The picture doesn't show it very well, but Bentley had clusters of hives on a few different areas of his body. I can only assume that the culprit is food. Arg!! I am now taking away the two foods that I thought he could tolerate (green beans and applesauce). This wouldn't be so bad if he took a bottle well, but he seems to hate the taste of his hypoallergenic formula. I don't blame him. It smells like bird feed and tastes VERY bitter.

I don't know what step to take next and the doctors here seem equally clueless. It is overwhelming when I start to think about all of the different scenarios for Bentley's future. Each new food trial takes a couple of weeks and the process is painfully slow, especially since he wants to eat everything. He most likely won't even be able to enjoy a birthday cake in a few months. Anyway...I am just discouraged and needed to vent!

So far, Bentley has had reactions to:
Oatmeal
Squash
Carrots
Pears
Sweet Potatos
Green Beans
Applesauce
Peaches

So far, Bentley can safely eat:
Hypoallergenic formula
Rice cereal (but only the Beechnut brand)

8 comments:

Lindsey said...

oh that would be so frustrating! what a poor little guy, and mama! especially if he WANTS to eat it all. i'm so sorry! hopefully he'll grow out of some of it?? he is soo adorable, by the way!!

(Nicole) The Very Hungry Caterpillar said...

OH Melanie, that is so many foods that he can not have. the list will probably grow too I am sure. that is so sad. That is a painful process of trying to see what foods trigger reactions. best of luck!

Tyler Bushman said...

I'm praying for you guys!

crack'n up ourselves said...

Poor kid! Have you ever given him some plain rice?

Rynell said...

That's a bummer. I went through a lot of food allergies with my now 5 year old. He got hives a lot as a baby. I found that detergents, baby soap & lotions were also culprits.

The good news--he's outgrown lots of it!

Meagan said...

Maybe the chlorine in the pool gave a reaction. Maybe the hives weren't after swimming? My son got hives and we figured out he needed scent-free detergent and lotion.

Rynell said...

PS My boy still has reactions to swimming pools...and he gets hives when I cut his hair (I have no explanation for that one). Sensitive skin folks can get hives from all sorts of things--seasonal allergies, anything applied to the skin, carpets, detergents, soap, lotion, certain fabrics... my son gets hives from oranges and penicillin too. Isn't it amazing all the unexpected things you learn about being a parent? I was floored.

Rynell said...

PS My boy still has reactions to swimming pools...and he gets hives when I cut his hair (I have no explanation for that one). Sensitive skin folks can get hives from all sorts of things--seasonal allergies, anything applied to the skin, carpets, detergents, soap, lotion, certain fabrics... my son gets hives from oranges and penicillin too. Isn't it amazing all the unexpected things you learn about being a parent? I was floored.