Sunday, June 21, 2009

Surgery Numero Dos

This past Thursday we took Bentley in for yet another surgery. This time, it was completely unrelated to his eating issues. He was born with an undescended testicle and apparently this is pretty common, but in most boys this problem will correct itself within the first 6-9 months after birth. We've been going to regular check-ups with a Urologist and he wasn't able to see or palpate one in the canal so the only way to know if he had one was to do a laparoscopy. They like to do the surgery at this age, because if it's not taken care of then there is a high risk of the undescended testicle becoming cancerous and causing infertility problems down the road. So we scheduled the surgery and told Bentley the news. This was his reaction:

Say what?

But then we explained that he would get plenty of pain medication, lots of love and attention post-op, and that in a couple of weeks we would push him on the swings for as long as little heart desired. His mood turned around and he conceded to the surgery...

If he really understood what was going to happen, I don't think he would have given us as many happy and smiling pictures in his cute little hospital scrubs. As soon as he come out of the anestheshia the nurses sent for me because he was in complete hysterics. He responded the same way with his last surgery so I sort of expected it, but last time he calmed down as soon as they removed all of his tubes and I was able to walk around with him. This time the nurses refused to remove his IV and unhook all of the monitors until he had calmed down and had something to drink. The result...he NEVER calmed down. He didn't want anything to do with his bottle and he was completely incosolable. Their only solution was to put him back to sleep with some Demerol with the assumption that he would wake up the second time much more compliant. Here's my poor little man knocked out in order to get a reprieve from all of his screaming:

If you haven't already figured out where this story is heading, he woke up the second time exactly like the first. The nurses were at such a loss for how to help that they finally heeded my request to remove all of his tubes. Wouldn't you know it...as SOON as they did this and I was able to walk around with him he stopped screaming and we were able to leave. What's that saying..."Mama knows best"?

Anyway, I know this is long but now I will get to the results of the laparoscopy. The doctor found the testicle in his canal, but then had to make a second incision and perform an Orchiopexy to remove it because as he referred to it, the testicle "was just a nubbin." He thinks that on it's descent down (in utero) it got twisted and it's blood supply was cut off so it was no longer functional. The doctor did however assure us that his manhood was still intact and that he should still be able to have children with just one testicle. I'm just glad that he was able to locate it and remove it so that the fear of it causing future problems no longer exists. Bentley was pretty worn out the rest of the day, but has been doing well ever since (other than those pesky little teeth that are trying to emerge). This is the incision from the laparoscopy. He has another incision lower down, but I wanted to spare him some decency. The end.

Sidenote: I feel weird that I just wrote a post with so many uses of the word "testicle." Sorry if this is offensive to anyone!

10 comments:

meg said...

Where have I been? Melanie! I had no idea little Bentley had to go through all that. (Not that I would have been any help seeing that myself and 2 kids were barfing up a lung that day.) Wow! Glad it went well. Poor little thing. I'm sure you are glad it's over.

meg said...

P.S. It breaks my heart that they knocked him out a second time. Shoulda listened to his mommy the first time.

Karrissa Winward said...

Poor guy!! I am sorry he had to go through all of that!

taylors said...

I am so glad that he is okay! When I complain about Isaac it is kinda nice you have been through some of the same procedures. You never imagine that your kid would have to go through all of this in his first year of life.....but it could always be worse. Let us know if you need anything!

Camille Kinghorn said...

oh the poor little guy! I'm glad things went well. He looks so cute in his little hospital gown.

Brittany and Colby said...

I'm so glad that everything went well. I love the pictures of him in the scrubs! He is so adorable. I can't wait to see you soon!

Vanessa said...

Hey Melanie, I feel so bad for him, he looked so helpless! I hope he is doing better.

Danny and Shalayne said...

oh Melanie!!! Poor little Bentley and poor parents - I can imagine how much that would have to take out of you emotionally! Bentley is SO adorable and I'm glad he is doing well!!

Raquel said...

I'm so glad everything went well. I was sad to read that they had to put him out a second time! Poor guy! He sure looks cute in those little scrubs though! Oh and I love the grass, that's so nice!

Alicia said...

Poor little guy! It's always so sad to see things like that happen to little kids. We thought Tanner had that problem only he was 3. Result... Tanner now absolutely hates doctors. Too much intrusion going on. Glad bentley is doing well. He's such a cutie!