Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sleep At Last

With the help of this (white noise machine):
this (room darkening shade):
this (sleep blanket):

and this book:

The Andrews' household is finally waking up in the morning feeling refreshed. John and I knew we had to make a change when we each had to take up to 5 turns tending to Bentley in the middle of the night. He would wake up twice to eat and several times for his pacifier, but the real issue began at 4 a.m. He would wake up at this time each morning and the only thing that would console him was being brought into bed with us. I already want a king size bed because I feel too cramped with just John and I, so you can imagine how unenthused I was about this situation. After waking up one too many times with a stiff neck I decided it was time to begin sleep training.

I've wanted to start this many times before now, but Bentley was never regular enough with his feedings during the day that I felt comfortable letting him cry it out at night. Up until a couple of weeks ago, the bulk of his daily formula intake came at night when he put up the least amount of resistance. I am now happy to report that Bentley stays in his crib all night and only wakes up once to eat. This is a gift from heaven compared to the sleep habits he had just two weeks ago. Bentley was also a very poor napper during the day. He woke up 30 minutes (on the dot) into every nap and was never well rested. He now takes 3 naps a day that typically last 1 hour each. I now walk into his room to find him happily playing in his crib while he waits for me to get him up. Pure bliss.

8 comments:

w said...

Yay Bentley! That must be sooo nice for you guys!

Anonymous said...

You did it! Aren't you glad that you were persistent? I am proud of Bentley too. I'm sure he will be happier with more sleep.

Callie & Gerod said...

Its so awesome when you can finally get them into the routine of bedtime. We did the CIO method, and it took about a week in a half, but believe me it was the best thing ever. And he is much happier during the day because he (as well as both parents) got a GREAT nights sleep! Yeah for Bentley.. and you guys!

Stephanie said...

Yeah!!! I wish I could say the same thing about Grace and she is 17 months today. It seems that as soon as we get her sleeping through the night, she starts to cut a tooth or she gets sick. She still ends up in our bed at least 3 times a week. She sleeps just fine and so does Dave for the most part but I don't sleep well at all. Congrats to you!!! I hope it continues.

Karrissa Winward said...

Hooray!!

taylors said...

Okay...so I TOTALLY understand what you are going through. That was mason for a good 9 months.He was every two hours on the dot! Now he is a GREAT sleeper! Isaac.....he is just wonderful. I am happy for ya! It only gets better once you have perfected it. Where did you get that wonderful white noise machine? Did a humidifier not work? Also...the shade? I went to home depot and they were so expensive. go Bently!

Alona said...

Triumph! Congrats on getting more sleep! :)

crack'n up ourselves said...

NICE!!!!!!