We went out to dinner several months ago with a group of friends and during conversation one of the guys mentioned that he was training for a triathlon. All of the other male egos at the table quickly perked up and from that point on John started training for his first sprint triathlon. The entire family really enjoyed his training. John got a good workout, Bentley loved getting pushed/pulled, and I enjoyed doing whatever I wanted during their workout sessions!
(my boys in training)
So in the middle of trying to pack up our house, we took an overnight road trip up to St. George with one of John's best friends (and his family) for the race. The actual race was on May 15th and John did great! A sprint triathlon consists of a 750 meter swim, a 20k bike ride, and a 5k run. Seriously? He finished the race in 1:28:51 and 15th out of 41 in his age group. Pretty awesome for his first race! (still running with a spring in his step)
Bentley and I (along with John's mom and brother) were there to cheer him on and I will tell you that I felt like I was running my own mini-triathlon right along with him (yes, I know there really is no comparison, but indulge me). We walked a mile uphill just in time to see him jump in the water and start the race. From that point on we were running from point to point just in order to try and get a peak of him as he ran/rode by! Bentley was pretty confused as to what we were doing and unfortunately he was also sick and wanted me to hold him the entire time. I clearly didn't plan things out very well when I decided to wear uncomfortable sandals and pants on that hot day! By the end of the race, both John and I wear a sweaty mess and I ended up with blisters all over my feet. Next time I will know what to plan for, and since John loved it so much he has informed me that there will definitely be more races in his future. Bring on the olympic triathlon!





2 comments:
Way to go John, I'm super impressed! Sorry about your feet Melanie, you're awesome too for running around and holding Bentley the whole time. Miss you guys!
John that is awesome that you did a triathalon! Melanie get prepared for next year..you'll have two kids to hold next year!
Post a Comment