Monday, November 19, 2007

IT'S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE X-MAS



John and I decided to put up our Christmas decorations this past weekend. I know it's premature and I'm breaking every rule about putting up X-Mas decorations before Thanksgiving, but we had a good reason! This week we'll be leaving to go to New Hampshire to spend Thanksgiving with John's family, and when we get back John is going to be so busy with finals that there's no way he'd willingly spend a weekend putting up decorations. Plus, since we're going to Texas for Christmas, we won't have as much time to enjoy our decorated home. Breaking the rule benefited me twofold: 1) I had John to do all of the dirty work and 2) we get to feel the Christmas spirit in our home even longer!

Alright so I know that the title of my post is "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas," but look at me! I am in capris, a short-sleeved shirt, and our air conditioner was probably running while we put up the decorations. It's a little harder to get into the Chrismas spirit when you live in Las Vegas. John wouldn't let us start the decorating until he had downloaded Josh Groban's Christmas CD from Itunes. It helped to get us in the mood and now I am so excited for Christmas. I think that our decorations make our house look so much prettier. I wish I could keep them up all year. I am really excited about Christmas this year for some reason. I'm trying to get all of my Christmas shopping done in November so that I can just enjoy the month of December. I'm almost there!

As a sidenote, it's funny the things you learn about your spouse while doing everyday ordinary things. I thought that I was obsessive about paying close attention to detail, but John is even worse. Since we own a fake tree, we have to re-fluff each tree branch every year. About 15 minutes into the process I noticed that John was following close behind me to redo EVERY branch I had just done. Seriously? I tried to convince him that the ornaments would cover up any holes, but that wasn't good enough - one more reason I love that man.

5 comments:

Brittany and Colby said...

Your house looks so cute. I can't wait until Colby and I get more decorations. We're deciding not to get many because we will just have to move them around. I can't wait to see you at Christmas. Hope you have a great Thanksgving!
Love you!

taylors said...

I am glad that you decided to do it after mason came over! We put up our tree so we can teach him not to touch.....you can imagine how well that is going!

(Nicole) The Very Hungry Caterpillar said...

Melanie, I just saw your blog from chris and Marjorie's. I was so excited when I clicked on John and Melanie and it was you!! It looks like things are going well for you in Vegas. Have a great Christmas and keep in touch! our blog address is
http://gogginsfamily.blogspot.com/
bye
nicole

Stacie Hawley said...

Hooray for Christmas!! I love it!

Alona said...

You're hilarious! I love the re-fluffing story! The tree looks great.