Our first week home from the hospital was wonderful and exhausting! Unfortunately, with the way that Casen's antibiotics needed to be scheduled, I couldn't avoid a couple middle of the night treatments. Casen did NOT like being woken up during the night! I thought that his middle of the night treatments would be a breeze, but we had no such luck with him sleeping through his treatments. I was up from about 11-3 each night during his infusions. The process went something like this: Begin first infusion at 11 and cross fingers that Casen will sleep through the process. Inevitably, Casen wakes up despite my best efforts. Spend the next hour calming him down and helping him fall back asleep. As soon as he falls asleep it's time to stop his first treatment and begin his second treatment. Repeat process until we both crash around 3 a.m. He did great with his treatments during the day, but the poor kid just wanted to sleep in peace and was not happy to be woken up by me messing with his arm. I don't blame him, I wasn't particularly thrilled about it either.
I am so grateful that my mom stayed in town for a few extra days. She has helped out so much with meals, cleaning, playing with the boys, and even letting me take a nap almost every day! Moms are wonderful. My sweet little Bentley loves his Nana so much and was so sad to see her go. After we dropped her off at the airport, I turned to see him in the backseat with silent tears streaming down his face. Thank goodness for Skype! Once my mom left, our ward family took over and prepared meals for us all the way up until Casen's one week follow-up appointments. It was so nice not to worry about making dinner while all of his treatments were going on and I am so grateful to everyone who brought meals to our family! Seriously, so nice!
Despite our late nights, we had a good first week at home. Casen would not let me out of his sight for a few days. We are going to have to deal with some trust issues now, but things are slowly returning to normal. His activity level quickly returned to normal, and he was constantly keeping me on my toes. I was so paranoid about his PICC line coming out, and it didn't help that he was back to jumping off couches and running around like crazy with Bentley. It's been so good to see the two of them back together again. They are such good pals and they both missed each other a lot.



No comments:
Post a Comment